Sunday, October 2, 2011

OCTOBER

Editor's note: "Every bard since Homer has composed a verse or two about autumn," Dad wrote as the introduction to this poem. "Surely one or two more won't hurt much."

I love the Autumn season,
When a nip is in the air;
And silver patches glisten
On the rooftops, here and there.

The frost is on the pumpkin,
And the beans are in the bin;
A bumper crop of yellow corn
Is being gathered in.

Overhead, in vee formation,
Flocks of geese are flying high,
Winging on to warmer quarters,
Underneath a southern sky.

This bright October weather
Really suits me to a T;
If it stayed like this forever,
It would be okay with me!

But I know a change is coming
'Round the corner just ahead,
And I always face the Winter
With a little bit of dread.

We can't control the weather,
But I'd give 'most anything
If we could skip a season,
And go straightway into Spring!

--Eighty After Eighty (1995)

No comments:

Post a Comment