Sunday, October 16, 2011

A BIT SHORT

Editor's note: Given the economic woes of the world (and the folks who occupy it), this poem seems appropriate for this week. And given that it was written some 25 years ago, it seems the more things change, the more they stay the same!

Financial experts tell us
We should have a savings plan,
And get the thing established
Just as quickly as we can.

For, fiscal independence
Is the goal to keep in sight,
And saving on a schedule
Is the way to do it right.

You can't expect perfection,
And you'll have to understand
That things won't always happen
In the order you have planned.

I've had a little trouble,
As I realized I would,
In sticking to my schedule,
But I've done the best I could

In looking down the road a bit,
It's pretty plain to see
How my financial planning
Has been working out for me.

If I continue saving
At about my present rate,
I'll owe a million dollars
At the age of ninety-eight!

Hominy Grits (1986)

No comments:

Post a Comment