Sunday, September 26, 2010

THE COLD WAR

Editor's note: "Some animals act like people, and some people act like animals," Dad wrote in the introduction to this poem. "When you put them together, they sometimes imitate each other." It seemed to me an appropriate poem as election time -- with all those annoying, mud-slinging TV commercials -- is upon us.

Politics in Washington,
And world affairs as well,
In situations here at home,
All have a parallel.

Our neighbor's dog is just a cur,
And he's nothing much to see;
I've got no use for him at all,
And he hates the sight of me.

He barks whenever I come out
To get the morning mail;
It's pretty certain I'm a guy
That he would love to nail!

But I don't aim, if I can help,
To give that mutt a chance
To chew a swatch of denim
Out of Mister Acres' pants!

He snarls at me, I snarl at him,
We go on day by day;
But never have got closer yet
Than a dozen feet away.

If we don't hold the status quo,
And worse does come to worst,
I think he'll turn his tail and run,
If I can bite him first!

--The Buckeye Poet (1991)

No comments:

Post a Comment