Sunday, January 16, 2011

POOR CONNECTIONS

Editor's note: "The most versatile and complicated machines have the most parts to wear, corrode and deteriorate," Dad wrote as the introduction to this poem. I picked it, though, because it just seemed appropriate: Earlier this week, my husband Jack slipped on the ice in our yard and fractured his ankle in 3 places. After surgery he's back home and doing well, but Dad's poem really hit home (no pun intended) this time!

My foot bone is connected
To my ankle bone, they say,
I couldn't walk so good if it
Were any other way.

My head bone is connected
At my body's other end,
And swivels on my neck bone,
So it can turn and bend.

These joints cause a problem
For some people I have seen,
But my vexation hinges
On some couplings in between.

Time marches on, relentless,
And it changes things a lot;
I've just begun to realize
How many joints I've got!

As age-induced erosion,
And the wear on these increase
They're getting stiff and creaky,
Like they need a little grease!

But yet, I'm really thankful,
From the bottom of my heart;
If I lost all my connections,
I suppose I'd fall apart!

--Acres of Verse (1994)

No comments:

Post a Comment