Saturday, February 20, 2010

SENSE-LESS

Editor's Note: There's no question that our five senses deteriorate with the passing of years, so it's a blessing when one of them holds up exceptionally well, Dad wrote in his introduction to this poem. I couldn't agree more!

Down through the years,
I've been much aware
Of the taxing conditions
We call wear and tear.

The way our physical
Beings degrade,
And how the keenness
Of senses will fade.

We're destiny bent,
Retrograding to dust;
Contending we'll never,
While knowing we must.

I'm no longer sharp
In my hearing and sight,
Nor do I remember
As well as I might.

But one thing affords me
Satisfaction immense--
Time has not dimmed
My olfactory sense.

So, I'm feeling thankful
And fortunate, too,
That I keep on smelling
As good as I do!

--The Buckeye Poet (1991)

No comments:

Post a Comment