Sunday, April 1, 2012

LIVING AND LEARNING

From dust we have our beginning,
To dust we all shall return;
But in between there's a moment
When all of us live and learn.

All do not remain equal,
For we learn at a different rate;
Some will turn it to profit,
For others, it comes too late.

Experience teaches us all,
But slowly, and it appears
There's no other way to get it,
But through the passing of years.

It doesn't indicate wisdom
Because there's gray in your hair,
But everybody learns something
While Nature is putting it there.

I worked out many a problem
By stumbling through somehow,
When it would have been so easy,
Knowing what I know now.

No question at all about it,
A good many years ago,
I flubbed a legion of ventures
Because I just didn't know.

I'm sure I could have done better
In a hundred different ways,
If I'd been a little bit older
Back in my younger days!

--Acres of Verse (1994)

No comments:

Post a Comment