Friday, April 13, 2012

FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH

Editor's note: New poems to this blog always come on Sundays, but since today is Friday the 13th, I figured it would be bad luck not to post it on the "right" day!

If you have superstitions,
As many people do,
I don't share your affliction,
But I sympathize with you.

Bad luck will come on Friday
No more often, let me say,
Even on the thirteenth,
Than any other day.

Black cat cross my path?
There may be truth in that;
It might turn out unlucky,
But only for the cat!

Some taboos are founded
On good solid thinking, hence
Not walking under ladders
Shows a bit of common sense.

I never see an omen
When I drop a fork or knife,
And spilling half a ton of salt
Would not mess up my life.

The reason I'm not troubled
By superstitious fears
Is the rabbit foot I've carried
For more than fifty years.

--Acres of Verse (1994)

No comments:

Post a Comment