Sunday, March 4, 2012

MONEY

Editor's note: "There are many ways to make money, and many ways to spend it," Dad wrote as the introduction to this poem. "But the time will come when you won't need it!"

I've made a bit of money,
In my lifetime here on earth,
But I don't have much to boast of,
When I total up my worth.

I've barely broken even,
And I guess that is fine,
Although there's nothing showing,
When I reach the bottom line.

Some people call it moola,
While others call it jack;
They spend it by the bushel,
And hoard it by the stack.

Spondulics, bread or sugar,
I guess it's all the same;
It really doesn't matter,
For there's nothing in a name.

Though you may call it lucre,
Or to you it's scratch or dough,
You still can't take it with you
When your time has come to go.

For when you seek admission
To the land of milk and honey,
The bottom line will be how much
You're worth without your money!

--Eighty After Eighty (1995)

No comments:

Post a Comment