Sunday, January 30, 2011

ROAD TO RICHES

Editor's note: "There are many roads to riches, if you have enough to build on," Dad wrote as the introduction to this poem. "But one sure-fire method doesn't take much capital."

It's really not too difficult
To become a wealthy man;
Once the formula is known,
Almost anybody can!

If you will pay attention
To what I have to say,
With only one lone dollar bill,
You can soon be on your way.

You buy an item wholesale
For your buck, and when you do,
You turn around and sell it
To some other guy for two!

Repeat the same procedure,
Just the way I've told you how,
And, if you're perspicacious,
You have got four dollars now.

The next plateau is eight, you see,
And then you reach sixteen;
Then thirty-two, and sixty-four;
Now you're getting what I mean.

Now, take your calculator,
And multiply some more;
Double your money twenty times,
And a million is your score!

In case you might be wondering why
I'm not a millionaire,
I got too old before I had
A dollar bill to spare!

--Eighty After Eighty (1995)

No comments:

Post a Comment