Sunday, February 28, 2010

FUMBLE

Editor's note: "I'm sure a great many bridegrooms have indulged in the expectations of being the lead horse of the married team," Dad wrote as an introduction to this poem. I'm sure that's true of most bridegrooms even today -- and I'm just as sure the outcome is the same as well.

Before our wedding bells had runs,
I made a vow that I
Would be the boss, and rule the roost,
Or know the reason why.

I felt so certain things would go
The way I had them planned;
Get started right, and never let
Her get the upper hand.

Of course, I didn't think it wise
To crack the whip too soon;
There'd be plenty of time for that
After the honeymoon.

I might have been less confident
If I had only known
That she had been engaging in
Some planning of her own!

Too late, I realized that I
Had missed my only chance
For making good my early vow
That I would wear the pants.

Before the dust had settled,
I knew I'd lost the race,
For she was off and running,
Leaving me in second place.

It wasn't quite a total loss,
Nor yet a fruitless try;
I didn't get to be the boss,
But I know the reason why!

--The Buckeye Poet (1991)

No comments:

Post a Comment