Wednesday, November 18, 2009

FREE SPEECH

Editor's Note: Autumn Acres, published in 1982, mostly was composed "during the so-called Golden Years, when one has considerably more to look back on than to look forward to," dad wrote in the introduction. "If a reader, here or there, should happen to glean a grain or two of wheat from all the chaff and tares, so much the better!"

The Constitution guarantees
A right to you and me:
The right to speak out freely
Any time we disagree.

If you see things a different way
Than I do, that is fine.
For you have your opinion
Just the same as I have mine.

You and I may disagree
And often be divided,
For this event, the very first
Amendment has provided.

I can't deny your basic right
To speak without restrictions,
And you're as free as you can be
To stick to your convictions.

I cannot fail to keep in mind
This country is a free one.
If you must be a stupid ass,
You have the right to be one!

--Autumn Acres (1982)

No comments:

Post a Comment